Make Your Own Bread Bowls!Monday, April 7, 2014
Whenever we go to a neighborhood restaurant, I always get the same thing. Always: A bread bowl salad. I can never finish one, but that's never stopped me from trying. So lately I've been craving a huge salad, and what's a salad without its own edible bowl? Not much, my friends...
Source: Holly S., Southern Mom Loves
Servings: 2 huge bread bowls, 4 medium bread bowls, or 6-8 small bread bowls
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 3/4 cups lukewarm water
- 2 Tablespoons granulated active yeast
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. Chives
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried Dill
- 1 tsp. dried Basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Mix the yeast, salt, sugar, Italian seasoning, chives, garlic, onion, dill, basil, and olive oil with the water in a large bowl.
- Mix in the flour. I use the scoop and swipe method with flour and I use my swiping knife to mix the dough, which helps it cut-in well. Then, get your hands dirty and quickly make sure all the flour is incorporated.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rest at room temperature for 2-4 hours, until about doubled in size.
- Then into the fridge for a couple of hours to make it easier to handle.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove from fridge and punch down dough. I also let it sit for about 30 minutes. I know this sounds silly considering we just refrigerated it, but trust me on this: you want it chilled, but not cold. Make sense?
- I'm making 4 medium bowls, so I separate my dough into 4 equal-sized balls.
- Spray the outside of your bowls with cooking spray of wipe down with cooking oil. Place these on a baking sheet. You may want to line it with parchment or foil.
- Flatten your first ball of dough into a disc. Place over the bowl and mold it down the sides a bit, making sure that you are pressing the dough as evenly as you can. Let sit and rise for 20 minutes.
- Once rested, place your bowls in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, turning the baking sheet halfway through, until evenly browned.
- Let set for 15 minutes on the counter before removing them from your molds. I then popped mine into the fridge for another 15 minutes to finish cooling before I filled them. Enjoy!