Keep Them Busy with Thanksgiving Finger Puppets!Monday, November 21, 2016
Today, I have the perfect craft to keep those little fingers busy while the grown-ups are in the kitchen: Thanksgiving Finger Puppets! These are simple to make and simple to come up with variations for. I did a turkey and a carrot to help you along. Get creative and get those little fingers working!
- Assorted colors of craft felt
- Googly eyes
- Craft glue or hot glue
1. Begin by creating the body of your puppet. For the turkey you will use tan felt, for the carrot, orange felt. Cut out a horseshoe shape with a rounded top and flat bottom. Ideally, you want the shape to fit the shape of your child’s finger with some overlap.
2. Cut out two of these shapes that are identical to each other. You want the puppet to have a front and a back.
3. Use your glue to make a strip along the perimeter of one piece of felt. DO NOT put any glue along the flat end. This is where your finger goes in so you want to keep it open.
4. Place the matching piece of felt on top so the two pieces line up. Press together and hold until secure.
5. You can now start embellishing your puppets and bringing them to life!
For the turkey we added some colorful felt feathers behind the body, a pair of googly eyes, and of course an orange beak and red gobbler. Your crafting felt and scissors are all you need to create these simple embellishments.
For the carrot, we added a pair of googly eyes and a piece of green felt for a stem. As you can see with both puppets, you have the freedom to create various shapes and colors to bring the carrot and turkey to life!
Now, just allow all pieces to dry. Then, slide over little fingers for some puppet fun.
Some other ideas for Thanksgiving-themed finger puppets:
- Native American
- a pie
- butternut squash
- corn cob
- colorful feathers
- fall leaves
Have fun and Happy Thanksgiving!
Do you have kids to keep busy during the holiday? Will you be making these finger puppets? I love to read your comments!