The Perfect Pizza Side: Parmesan-Crusted Creamed SpinachThursday, December 15, 2016
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone #FreschettaFresh #CollectiveBias
Pizza night has become a tradition in our family. The kids love having it and I love having an easy meal to prepare. It's a win-win! One thing I like to do on our pizza nights is to serve it with an easy side vegetable. One of my favorites to make (and theirs to eat) is a Parmesan-crusted creamed spinach. Spinach is loaded with good-for-you nutrients and making it in a parmesan cream sauce is a way that everyone will love, even the picky eaters. Serve it along with your pizza for a filling, easy meal.
Source: Holly of Southern Mom Loves
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
- 2-16 oz. bags of baby spinach, washed (or 32 oz. frozen, thawed)
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half & half
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese + 1/4 c. for sprinkling
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
1. If using fresh spinach: Blanch the spinach in a pot of boiling water for one minute, drain, rinse with cold water, and squeeze out all of the excess water. Chop the spinach roughly.
If using frozen chopped spinach: Thaw, drain, and squeeze out all of the excess water.
2. Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent (about 3-5 minutes.)
3. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
4. Sprinkle in the flour, whisking it into the butter and onion mixture. Continue stirring and cooking the flour for an additional few minutes, or until it doesn't smell like raw flour anymore. The flour will become a light, golden color.
5. Slowly whisk in the half & half and cook for another few minutes until thickened and remove from heat.
6. Stir in the parmesan and allow to melt in the hot sauce. Add in the spinach, salt, and pepper and stir thoroughly.
7. Transfer the creamed spinach into an oven-safe dish. Sprinkle with the extra parmesan cheese and broil for approx. 3 minutes, or until bubbly and browned on top.
Voila! You have the perfect side to go with your family pizza night and the kids will love it!
Do you have a pizza night during the week? Have you ever tried a Freschetta pizza? Will you be making this dish? I love to read your comments!