Southern Mom Loves: 5 of the Greatest (and Most Affordable) Gift Ideas for Mother's Day

5 of the Greatest (and Most Affordable) Gift Ideas for Mother's Day

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Disclosure: I was sent a free (affordable) handbag to try out and write about if I liked it. It fit in perfectly with my Affordable Mother's Day Gifts list, so you'll see that below!

Hi, everyone! Mother's Day is fast approaching; What are you getting your mom? I know some of you are struggling with what to get her, and I'm here to help! I've put together a list of the 5 most awesome (and affordable) gifts that moms want most for Mother's Day. (Hint: Some of them don't cost a thing!!!)

5 of the Most Awesome (and Affordable) Gifts for Mother's Day

#1. Flowers

It sounds simple, but moms generally don't indulge themselves very much. We spend the bulk of our time taking care of everyone else, so for a mom who loves flowers, getting a beautiful bouquet can make for a lovely day! You don't have to spend a bundle either. You can get a big, beautiful, professionally arranged vase of flowers if that's in your budget, but if it's not, I have some tips for you:
  • Opt for a "boxed" bouquet if ordering online or from a florist. These will come without a vase, which will cut the cost. They'll come wrapped in plastic and boxed, and should have water tubes on them to keep them fresh, and chances already has a nice vase to put them in.
  • Check out the Floral stand in the grocery store. They will have some lovely bouquets, and you can get a dozen roses for as little as $10.
  • Pick them yourself. This time of year, flowers are blooming freely. That doesn't mean to invade someone's yard, but chances are you've seen a field with wildflowers somewhere that are up for grabs.

#2. Jewelry

You don't have to break the bank here either. If you can't afford "dazzling", look for "sweet." Think birthstones, lockets, and pieces with special meaning. For example, if she has grandchildren, you could special order a heart pendant with each grandchild's birthstone. 

I know my favorite piece of Mother's Day jewelry was a plain locket with my children's pictures inside. It may be a pain getting the perfect-sized, tiny printout of a photo, but it will be well worth it when she unwraps it and opens it up. 

#3. Pampering Services

Does your mom love massages, facals, or mani/pedis, but never gets the time to take care of herself? A gift card to a local spa, massage place, or nail salon might be the perfect gift for her. 

You may think these are super-expensive options, but you can get a manicure for around $15 in most nail salons, and a Mani-Pedi will run around $40. 

If you want to give her the gift of a massage, but can't afford $100+ for a 90-minute massage, ask if they offer 60-minute or 30-minute options. You can usually get these much cheaper, so you can afford to give her a little luxury. 

#4. Fashion

Moms love to look good. She may be rocking yoga pants 95% of the time, but you can bet she feels amazing the other 5% when she gets the time to dress up or style a new bag. Again, you may think "expensive", but you can get stylish, quality pieces that are also affordable.

You can choose a gift card to her favorite retailer, or if you are more fashion-savvy and know her tastes, you can choose a gift that will blow her away yourself. Pro tip: the best fashion gifts don't require knowing her size. ;) Pretty scarves, sunnies, and handbags all make great gifts.

I was sent the Jenny Hobo in Caramel from 88 Handbags to try out (pictured above-left), and I adore the size (big enough to fit everything a mom carries) and the caramel color (perfect with a dressier outfit or jeans.) All of their bags are between $30 and $60, so they are definitely within budget.

Cool fact: Right now you have the chance to WIN one when you sign up for the 88 newsletter. Just go to their site and sign up; They'll pick a winner and send them a free bag! 

If you don't want to take chances with your mom's gift, they also have a BOGO right now: FREE WALLET WITH PURCHASE OF BAG $49+: COUPON CODE (MomLoves), valid April 18 to May 4, 2016. 

#5. A day off

One of the best gifts for a busy mom would be to give her an entire day off. I know this is one of my favorites. 

This doesn't mean forcing her to leave the house for the day, only to come home to the same mess, it means taking over everything that mom does for a whole day. Just let her do whatever makes her feel relaxed, whether it's curling up with a book at home or taking a shopping trip by herself.

Take the kids, do the laundry, the dishes, clean the house, cook dinner; Whatever you do, make sure there's nothing she feels like she has to do when she comes home. Giving her the entire day to relax could make this Mother's Day the best ever!


Are you a mom? What was your favorite Mother's Day gift ever? What would you like this year? I love to read your comments!

You Might Also Like


Video of the day