Delicious Summer Squash Casserole RecipeSaturday, July 19, 2014
Summer is here and yellow squash are in high season! This dish is a great Southern classic. Don't let its looks fool you; it is delicious! The eggs and cheese form a more substantial layer in between the soft squash and crunchy crackers.
Delicious Summer Squash Casserole Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 10-12 large yellow squash, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 c. Parmesan, shredded
- 2 c. Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c. Mayo
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- Ritz Roasted Vegetable crackers (trust me on this one!)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Saute squash and onions in the olive oil on medium-low until soft.
- In the meantime, whisk butter, eggs, parmesan, cheddar, mayo, salt, & pepper together in a medium bowl. Keep in fridge until needed.
- Crush 1 whole + 1/3 sleeves of your Ritz crackers in a gallon-sized zip-loc bag. I do it with a rolling pin, but you can use your hands or a heavy cup.
- Prepare a 9x13 casserole dish by greasing or spraying with Pam.
- Squash and onions are done when soft and most moisture is cooked away.
- Pour them into the casserole. Spread them out into an even layer.
- Next, pour your sauce layer on top (it will be fairly thick), and spread evenly with a fork.
- Lastly, sprinkle the top with your crushed crackers. You don't have to use them all; it's just to your taste.
- Bake for 20 minutes until bubbling hot and topping is browned.
Are you a fan of squash? What are your favorite yellow squash dishes?